Wednesday, July 15, 2009

We Are Off To The Hamptons!










First, I want you to notice what time it is, then I will tell you the limo will be at my house at 5:15 a.m.! Yes, I know, I am crazy but I just had to leave you with an update of the past few days! Katherine and Katy are running around quietly upstairs packing, laughing and getting their showers so they can sleep until 4:30 a.m. I am sure the limo driver will be thrilled with three women who have only had about three hours of sleep perfectly pressed clothes and lots of coffee. David was the smart one and went to bed by 10 p.m. Oh well, we can sleep on the plan right?

The past week has been a whirlwind. Katherine continued to recover from Big Stuf and slept lots. Each day I would receive updates from the Make A Wish Foundation regarding our trip and would get more excited everyday. Tracy Bossman, our Make A Wish Rep called to inform me we would be having Katherine’s Announcing Party at The Viking School in Franklin. When she went in and told them Katherine’s story including what she wanted to do for her wish, they wanted to host a very special lunch for our family that would included an amazing menu and Katherine would be able to prepare this beautiful meal right along side two awesome chiefs.

So the next week David and I worked on several lies, yes, I said lies, we wanted to surprise Katherine but also had to get Kaitlin Smith up to be involved in the luncheon. We worked with Brenda to get Kaitlin up Monday morning thinking she was surprising Katherine. Then I had to trick Katherine into getting her dressed up and over to the Factory where we would just “drop in” to the Viking Store and then walk into their demonstration kitchen. It all came together and the event was unbelievable. Katherine enjoyed herself so much and might I say she, Jamie and Mike put together a beautiful meal that included:

Mixed Greens with Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing (made from scratch)
Bobby Flay’s Grilled Asparagus
Melt In Your Mouth Potato Gratin
Blue Cheese Stuffed Filet Mignon
Morton’s of Chicago Godiva Hot Chocolate Cake

Katherine loved preparing each course and then even got Kaitlin up to help with the Godiva Hot Chocolate Cake. The girls had the two chiefs in stitches most of the time. After everything was done, we sat down to eat and enjoy the fruit of their labor. Trace then told Katherine all about her wish that had been granted. She began by talking about her journey over the past three years and Jamie and Mike were touched. She gave her a huge Make A Wish bag filled with lots of goodies for the trip and then explained how her wish will unfold.

We will be picked up by limo in the morning and then fly to the Hamptons on Long Island New York. We will stay in the beautiful historic South Hampton Inn. One Friday, Katherine will met and cook with Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa, yes that was Katherine’s wish. On Saturday she will enjoy some time at the local spa and then she will have the opportunity to have some sailing lessons. The rest of the weekend, we will enjoy touring the Hamptons and relaxing. David and I have known about all the wonderful events they had planned for Kaye but then it was Katherine’s turn to thank Katy for being such a wonderful friend and informing her that part of her wish from the start was that she could take her best friend with her. Because Will and Stephen are over 18, they could not go with us, so they granted this part of her wish as well. Kaitlin will experience the Hamptons with Katherine and make memories that will last a lifetime.

Katy was floored and of course there were lots of tears. I was just happy I did not have to lie any more! So the last few days have been getting ready to enjoy this awesome adventure. The house is quiet and of course I am the last to finish and get in the bed. I have put together a scrap book to give to Ina Garten telling Katherine’s story. I wanted her to see and understand the past three years and how she has helped to make a difference in Katherine’s life without even meeting her. You know me, it could not be some simple thing but it did make me organize more than three years of pictures of Kaye’s journey and I have finished.

I just could not leave without giving each of you the scoop and asking for special prayers of protection while we travel. Lucy and Cole will be taking care of by one of our favorite little boys, Cam. Well, everything is done, and now I must close my eyes for just a few hours. I will update once we are home but I wanted to go ahead and wish two people a very special Happy Birthday. They will celebrate while we are gone and I wanted to give them an early “Happy Birthday” wish. July 18th will be my Aunt Ruth Ann’s birthday and July 20th is Nani-Grace’s birthday. We love you both. Thank you for celebrating with us. We appreciate all your love and words of encouragement. Good night!

Never Quit!

Sharliss, David, KJ & Katy Bug…..off to the Hamptons!

Here are some pictures of the Make A Wish Luncheon hosted by the Viking School.

1 comment:

Pollyd said...

What a wonderful experience. Thanks for posting your journey with Make A Wish and all the pictures. I am so happy for all of you and the friends and people who made it happen for our Kaye.
Pollyd