Friday, May 30, 2008

Smiles and Tears At The Publix Store!

It has been almost two months since I sat down to write, sorry for that. I wish I had a good reason, but to be honest, once I check on all my "kids" via email, caringbridge, etc. I feel a little guilty to spend additional time sitting in front of the computer. I am a person who must do do do. Many of my sweet friends and family tell me this is a season for me to "just be" and I have had to really relax and take one day at a time. Anyway, enough reasons, I have so much to blog about, I even started writing titles on small pieces of paper and putting them into a wine glass that sits on my hutch. I will start with this one because it is most recent and something that truly touched me.

Many of you know that Publix has become the place to go! While Kaye was so sick and weak, Publix was the only place we would venture out and of course who could forget all the stories about the electric cart with the big basket on it. We now have many people who know us by name and smile and speak every day. Yes, I guess out of 7 days I am at Publix 5 of them. I have even gone Green and have those cute green Publix bags. Anyway, I was there to pick up just a few items and heard loud voices from the cereal row. I looked down and there were three kids, one of those car carts and a dad who was giving them direction in picking out cereal. Most of us have been there at on time or another. The kids ranged from the ages of 4-10 so there was no way they would pick the same cereal or even two of the same. I stood for a long time watching this "event" unfold and smiled. The dad was trying so very hard to be patient. I wanted to help and I thought about telling him how David's mom would allow the Arnold boys to pick cereal. They could have anything they wanted as long as when they turned the box to the side and read the ingredients, the first ingredient could not be sugar! Perfect! That keep the Arnold boys eating good cereal until Connie came along and of course being the baby, he always wanted the chocolate cereal.

I did not talk with the little family but by the time the cereals were in the cart and after lots of "talk", they had 4 different flavors and I could tell they were with their dad every other weekend. My light heart sunk and I began Asking God to give them a sweet weekend with their daddy.

Later that night I was in the car and heard a new song by Reba and Kenny named Every Other Weekend. Yep, you guessed it, I cried through the entire song. My thoughts went back to this sweet family who sure loved their daddy. I also thought about my family and how I do understand how hard this life is for everyone involved. We just go about out daily business understanding divorce but do we truly Understand Divorce. I wish I could just make it better because at times it can be a big ole mess and many are hurt, not just for a short time but for many many years. Because of my experience in the Cereal Row I will have a very special place in my heart for kids who go to different houses Every Other Weekend.

2 comments:

carolineb said...

Bless your darling soft heart, I know the Lord is especially fond of you.

Writeaway said...

Such a compassionate perspective. So many kids live like this and they don't want to...